My shower surround is finally finished!
Okay well, the niche isn’t but that involves a promise and procrastination.
I finally bit the bullet and decided to JUST. DO. IT.
And I’m so glad I did!! Showering in it is as delightful as I’d hoped.
In taking photos of it, I have decided to make this a post about the whole bathroom. This is possibly the first themed room I’ve ever done. It is SO fun! Anyhow, the shower is about half of the space.
I was concerned about making the grout stick to the celiling. Obviously it is not straight up but at a pretty steep angle and I felt that if I got the grout the right consistency and also if I positioned myself correctly, I would be able to do it and indeed that was the case. I made the grout a little thicker but not so thick that it was not sticky which can happen. The hardest part was actually getting it up in the pointy peak part where the ceiling the wall meet because it is a small pointy space.
The big mistake I made and the thing I learned was that my placement of tape was STUPID. I put it in places where I could not extract it and did not need to protect that surface. Namely on the skylight, the floor and the side of the trim. see that hint of blue along the edge? TAPE.
and let me just say that showering in here, night or day is SUBLIME. Yes, a little bit of water bounces off your body or the shower floor and gets onto the bathroom floor but a nice absorbent rug takes care of that- way better than some suffocating and ugly off-gassing shower curtain.
The only plumbing glitch we encountered was that the brand new shower head was not working. Apparently it had gunk in it from the new plumbing- we took off the head and pulled out the putty-like stuff and then it worked wonderfully!
Here are some detail shots:
yes, the grout on the slate looks a bit sloppy- let me just say in my defense that slate is tricky with hidden cracks and a certain “attraction” for grout.
I’m afraid the grey grout helped this rabbit hide a little more than I would have liked.
Another note on paint color. I picked it before the lights were installed. Once they were in the green (on the bottom) was overpowering in such a small space so I picked a much lighter green and had the upper half painted with that. I love the two tone- I think it worked out well. Props to Ray, my painter!
I made this toothbrush holder/vase- I think it’s what inspired the whole theme!